27 4月 2014

Preparing for Interac Interview/Info Session

ポストの日:24日4月2014年


    Did you see the post date? April 24! In 2 days now (April 26) I will officially have my interview with Interac, and I'm not nervous as I was 2 days ago but still that nervousness lingers. It's a combination of wanting to do well, not wanting to screw things up, and making a good impression. I have already bought (just 1) working attire that I will use for my interview. (Your basic black pants, black flats, white blouse, black jacket) Actually my flats do have bows on them (also black) so I hope that is not a problem. I mean these are feet we are talking about here.

    So I have decided what to do for my task 3 (the elementary demo lesson), which is actually the part I was most nervous about because I do want to teach at this level. Although any level is fine. Even if it's adults, I'll be happy. I'll be doing the "Simon Says. . ." game with body parts and make some flashcards (with pictures) of body parts. Essentially we have to review these words first, for whatever lesson we choose, and then go through the game. MAKE SURE THE GAME WORKS!!!!
    I actually just explained this game to the BF on LINE, and he thought it would be a good idea for younger kids. I also asked a friend and received the same comment.
    So at the moment I am in the mist of creating/drawing flashcards of body parts.

    For the high school intermediate level lesson, I chose directions. Like, "DIRECTIONS - WHERE IS THE TREASURE?". I got this idea from talking with one of my professors yesterday (近松先生). And then I thought it would be great if I could find some pictures from One Piece. I'll have to write down some sample sentences/questions on the board but that's pretty easy. Like,

          Go straight _____ blocks.
          Turn left/right.

    The interview part I'm not nervous at all about it, although I have heard some things from people where they actually leave later than their intended date. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I have also heard some pretty tough words that people will be tested on (for the grammar test they give you), such as "twelfth". I didn't even know how to spell that until someone talked about it (regarding their Interac interview process). I don't have too much confidence on my spelling ability, so I want to practice as much as I can.

    Other things I've heard =

  1. be energetic and cheerful when giving your demo lessons
  2. demo lessons will be performed in front of the other interviewees (so they will act as your students)
  3. they provide a relaxing atmosphere when the day starts so you feel a bit more relaxed
  4. the info session can be quite long but does cover anything and everything (なんでもかんでも)about what you need to know
  5. you'll have a lunch break
  6. some people make new friends/contacts on this day
  7. be prepared and practice your timing. PRACTICE! ! ! ! !
         I'm gonna videotape myself. This is something I did when I took a speech class, but I'll see how "happy" I look, and practice on my timing.

    To go back and explain a little, I initially applied for this company around February (I think). Around that time I had my phone interview, and some information sent to me via emails. Not long after they told me the date for the information session which is super close to O'Hare Airport (at least for this information session - Chicago). Then I went to Saitama in beginning of April and came back more confident in the choice I had made (to move to Japan). 

    Of course I was a little nervous for the phone interview just because I haven't done interviews in a while, but I'm confident to say that they are all pretty standard and once you have done one, you can do pretty much all of them.

    Tomorrow will be Friday so I will be busy doing other things (volunteer work and an event to ask people questions about jobs in Japan. Although the event one I'll just be there briefly because I have to go back home and prepare for Saturday). I live 1 hour away from my school (using shitty public transportation), so I don't want to be at this event too late. Also, I get hungry . . .

    Will post more about the interview after it happens. ^^


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Comment

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...