21 1月 2015

Interview no.2 (Group Interview)


    So I've recently made a big list of things I want to talk about here, and let people know about being an ALT. At least from what I have experienced. I do take my tasks seriously regardless of what it is. As well as talk about some of those things you can't find in a textbook.

    This is something I've said since I was in DePaul. How I wanted to go to Japan and learn the culture and peoples way of thinking. And that's what I got and still getting. But I'm also learning that along the way, there will be things you like and things you won't like.
    So I just wanted to give the heads up for that. I know I kinda flew by with the training details, and a lot of the culture that I encountered in the schools, as well as peoples behaviour that is spread pretty wide. It's not just one particular person nor a particular school.

    But before I get into all these topics, I just wanted to briefly say that I'm now applying for other jobs. I've found that it's easier to find jobs once you are IN the country. Companies definitely favor you already being here verses overseas applicants. They'll respond much quicker. And it's less preparation on their part. Also there are many places that want you to have at least 2 years of experience, and if you fall below those 2 years, they won't really consider you for the position.
     This is the next hard part of finding jobs, because it means you'll have to stick with whomever you initially contracted with until you get those 2 years under your belt or find another company that doesn't ask for much. But in that instance you may not be able to increase your salary.

    Japan is old-grampa like that. They pay more for more "experience", and not for qualifications per say. Yes teaching as well as any other jobs does require experience in order to get better, but if that experience limits what you can do then it's not a learning experience with growth. It's just an experience for the heck of it, and you may not get any better. I think here is where US and Japan differ, and I'm on the US team for this one.

    I value an experience where you grow in your strengths and abilities, as well as expand your knowledge and being an active participant. You can't expect a new person to do exactly what you just did if they're just looking. You can only create output, with active output participation.
    Whereas, here it's more about an input, passive participation. But their expectations will be much lower to begin with. Teachers in classrooms will even say things like "you can't do this huh...", which from my point of view limits their willingness to explore more and try more.

    Anyways, like I said: applying for other places. So far I have an interview this coming Sunday (January 25th, 2015). Today is Wednesday and haven't made travel arrangements yet. . . . Yikes.




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Comment

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...